Saturday, April 25, 2009

Innocence of a 5 year old

We had the opportunity today to take our students to Stadium Fest at Samford Univeristy. It was an awesome time of worship led by Chris Tomlin, Kevin Derryberry, Rush of Fools, and Jeremy Camp. The Word was definitely brought too by Rick Burgess, Bill "Bubba" Bussey (both from the Rick & Bubba Show), Louie Giglio, and Scott Dawson. Many people came to Christ and I just have to say...I was challenged incredibly by the Holy Spirit! However, the thing that hit me the most was after the concert during the Fireworks show. Our five year old, Chastity, was sitting in my lap as I was holding her tight because of the loud, booming sound of the fireworks. While her little eyes just kept watching the fireworks go up into the night sky, her mind must have been at work because what was about to come out of her mouth was amazing. She said "Daddy, do you think God is okay up there?" She was concerned about the fireworks hurting Him. Since that moment that her mind was at work, my mind has been at work. Although the colorful fireworks that we see light up the night sky do not hurt God, it has caused me to stop and wonder... "How many times do we allow the 'fireworks' of our lives to hurt God? You know, those times when we just blow it! As much as it bothers me when I fail the Lord, it must bother Him so much more. When we blow it, it's about like that firework that has just been lit and all you see is a little blur of light going up into the sky. Once it peaks, it makes a loud boom, and totally explodes. I hate when that "boom" happens in our lives. But what blows my mind is this... although we mess up and "blow it" at times with the Lord, his mercy and grace is sure to follow. It's as if once we "hurt" God, He can't wait for us to repent of that sin and learn from it so that He can lavish us with the beauty of His love. It's amazing that God can take what we have made a mess of and "blown up" and shower us with the beauty and magnificence of Who He is! Is that a license to sin...surely not. The book of Romans says, "Shall we continue in sin so that grace may much more abound? May it never be!" However, I do want to say this..."Thank You so much, Lord, for pouring out Your love on a sinner such as me! Forgive me for when I hurt You. Thank You for the reminder from the innocence of my precious five year old daughter! May I constantly remember this incredible reminder that You have given to me tonight! I love You, Father!"
-Clay

No comments: